Five Proven Ways To Increase Social Media Engagement And Sharing
Up until a few years ago, not only did people share almost every post and tweet they found the least bit interesting, they would routinely thank others for doing the same. This resulted in both companies and individuals the ability to build large, engaged followings, which could potentially be leveraged to generate business. However today that trend seems to have virtually disappeared.
According to Statista.com, only 16% of those between 18-25 share non personal content such as ads or product information. And according to Sysomos.com, only 6% of Twitter posts get retweeted. So what can a business do to get more traction out of their social media activities? Try out these five proven ideas.
- Reward for sharing. Using hashtags gives you the ability to track conversations. Encourage your community to include your hashtag in their posts for a chance to receive gifts such as discounts, or access to exclusive offers or events.
- Ask for feedback. Introducing a new product? Ask for feedback on the design, packaging or name. Not only will you get free market research, you’ll build some buzz.
- Create a sharing environment. Encourage others to share their experiences when they visit your place of business. Have a designated “sharea” complete with backdrop, props and selfies sticks.
- Keep it exclusive. Holding an event or having a special sale? Make it exclusively an invite through social media. Everyone who shares your post (with hashtag) gets on the guest list.
- Be disruptive. Forget looking like everyone else. Create a fun video, write an article that goes against popular opinion, or share some groundbreaking new information – like this article.Marc Gordon is a recognized marketing expert, speaker and strategist. His articles appear in over 200 publications worldwide. Visit marcgordon.ca or his online show at marctv.net for more business tips.