Five Traits of a Great Boss
As any business grows, it becomes more challenging to manage additional tasks and responsibilities. The obvious next step is to hire (more) skilled people. However many business owners, worried no one can do the job as well as them, are often reluctant to release responsibility. This can lead to stress for both the business owner and the employees. So here are five traits every business owner should embrace to bring out the best in their staff and become a great boss.
- Let go. Micromanaging is a sure way to ruin any employer/employee relationship. Great bosses understand there can be more than one way to accomplish a task. Letting staff take ownership and responsibility will often result in higher quality output and performance.
- Motivate. Great companies operate as teams, with each employee understanding the company’s goals and their role in helping reach them. A great boss will keep them focused on the big picture and prevent minor issues from becoming major distractions.
- Listen. Some of the most successful products were created by employees (think Post-it Notes and Gmail). Great bosses will listen to their employees and encourage them to share ideas with the understanding that everyone wants to make a valued contribution.
- Appreciate. Employees that feel valued and appreciated work harder, are more loyal, and will be your greatest sales team. Showing appreciation to staff can be as simple as congratulating them in front of their team, to taking them out to dinner or even on trips. Great bosses are in tune with the enthusiasm and performance of their staff and make sure they are compensated and rewarded accordingly based on the industry.
- Lead by example. Great bosses are always more than ready to roll up their sleeves and do what needs to be done. Whether it’s accompanying a sales rep to a client meeting, to loading a truck, no job is too “below” them. And when employees see that management is ready to do whatever needs to be done, they will be more than willing to do the same.
Marc Gordon is a recognized marketing expert. He regularly appears on TV and radio. His articles appear in over 200 publications worldwide. Visit marcgordon.ca or his online show at marctv.net for more business tips.