Five easy ways to improve customer service
It’s been said that if you make your customers happy, everything will take care of itself. However the problem for many businesses is they don’t have the resources to create and implement effective customer service programs. So here are five quick and easy ways to improve your customer service with no special training required.
- Stay professional. Whether on the phone or in person, how you present yourself will have a huge impact on how people communicate with you. Be polite, courteous, attentive, and caring.
- Say thank you. Let your clients know you appreciate them with a quick phone call, a hand written note, or even a small gift to thank them for their business or a referral.
- Be accessible. While no one expects you to be available every minute of the day, make it easy for customers to reach you or your staff. Email, voicemail, texts and social media are all ways you can make yourself available. Most importantly, make sure to respond promptly.
- Ask what, not why. As in “what can we do to make things right” instead of “why are you having this problem”. Never put a customer on the defensive.
- Follow up. If you suspect that a customer is not 100% happy with their experience with you or your company, follow up afterwards by phone or email. While it may feel awkward, your attentiveness alone may often be enough to make things right. And it will always be appreciated.
Marc Gordon is a professional speaker and marketing expert. Get more marketing tips on his website, marcgordon.ca and on his online show, marctv.net.