One of the perks of being your own boss is being able to set your own dress code. And for many business owners, jeans and a t-shirt has become the standard uniform. However a field of study called enclothed cognition explains how what we wear can impact our performance and attitude. So before you reach for those sweat pants, check out these five reasons to dress better.
- Better mood. Dressing better can have a positive impact on your overall mood. Being more positive, friendly, and polite are all traits that have shown to be impacted by dressing better.
- More authority. People who are dressed better are viewed as being natural leaders. A study showed that a jaywalker convinced 250% more people to follow him when he was wearing a suit compared to when he was poorly dressed.
- Being prepared. You never know who you’re going to meet at the coffee shop, the bank, or the grocery store. When you’re dressed professionally you’re always ready to meet people with confidence.
- Look smart. Those that are dressed well are perceived to be smarter and more successful. Could there possibly be a drawback to this?
- Competitive advantage. Are your competitors dressing well? If so, you need to keep up. If they’re not, then it’s your chance to take the lead.
Marc Gordon is a professional speaker and marketing consultant. Get more marketing tips on his website, marcgordon.ca and on his online show, marctv.net.