For many business owners, working from home can increase efficiency and reduce overhead while allowing for more time to spend with family. The problem is that there can also be more distractions such as kids, household chores, and running errands. Here are five ways to help you become more efficient and less stressed while working from home.
- Have a designated work area. Forget the kitchen table — have a room (with a door) to call your own. Train your family to know you are unavailable when the door is closed.
- Schedule your time. Set aside blocks of time during each day for work, chores, meals, errands, and “me time”.
- Keep set hours. It can be easy to take a few hours off in the afternoon then work until midnight. The problem is that this can lead to you working too many hours or not enough, resulting in either exhaustion or a lack of business growth. Try to keep your hours in line with the rest of your industry.
- Have a “second” office. Studies have shown that a change of scenery can make you more productive. So grab the laptop and head off to a coffee shop for some caffeine induced creative thinking.
- Go to networking events. It’s easy to become solitary working from home, making you unmotivated and uninspired. Meeting new people will not only keep you sharp, it may even bring in new business.
Marc Gordon is a marketing expert and professional speaker. Get more marketing tips on his website, marcgordon.ca and on his online show, marctv.net.