It’s been said there’s nothing better than being your own boss. However sometimes the weight of “wearing all the hats” can be emotionally and spiritually draining. So next time things seem a little overwhelming, refer to these five principles every happy business owner lives by.
- Don’t focus solely on the money. Sure money is important. And assuming you’re providing a product or service people want, it will naturally come if you invest energy into cultivating relationships, treating people well, and enjoying what you do. Making every decision based on ROI or keeping costs to a minimum will only hurt your business in the long run.
- Get a life. One reason you’re in business for yourself is so you don’t have to answer to anyone. So take advantage of it. Don’t be afraid to take the occasional three day weekend, long lunch, or a real vacation. It will keep you refreshed and focused
- Hang with your own kind. Join an industry association, chamber of commerce, or any group where like minded people gather to share ideas and knowledge. You will find that the more you share the more you will learn.
- Don’t say yes to everyone. Some clients will cause you heartache. Some suppliers will give you a heart attack. It’s okay to turn them away. Surround yourself with those that support your ideas, value your skills, and want to share in your success.
- Know that $#!& happens. Even as a business owner, you can’t control everything. Sometimes unforeseen and uncontrollable things will change the course of your business or your life. Do not dwell on what could have been. Instead, focusing on what can be.
Marc Gordon is a recognized marketing expert, speaker and strategist. His articles appear in over 200 publications worldwide. Visit marcgordon.ca or his online show at marctv.net for more business tips.